Friday 17 May 2013

Event:Selfridges summer beauty evening & Makeup haul



Ciao Bella!

Yesterday i attended the Selfridges Summer Beauty evening at Selfridges Manchester Exchange. It was an evening to discover the spring and summer beauty trends and sought-after hair trends. Tickets were £10 but then was redeemable against products purchased on the night. Plus if you spent over £70 you got a go on the Selfridges prize vending machine full of prizes. At the evening was international makeup artists who will help  to create the looks. The event promised that you would receive mini makeovers and complementary treatments from the beauty world’s biggest brands,enjoy complimentary drinks (although you could only get a free cocktail when you purchased a perfume) and tasty treats including candy floss, popcorn and snow cones. I'd been looking forward to this event for weeks, as i was hoping to enjoy a girly evening with my mum and older sister.

Did the event live up to my expectations?

Selfridges has such a commendable reputation i was sure the event would be fantastic.  Sadly, it didn't  I was a little disappointed at how it was badly organised, as there were people at the event who had no purchased a ticket. You could tell who had by the blue wrist band they were wearing. This made me feel like  purchasing the £10 ticket was a waste of money and wasn't necessary. The event was absolutely rammed and overcrowded   - i think this was due to the numbers been unregulated. Also the complimentary champagne drinks promised ran out before we even had a chance to get a glass , but annoyingly people were walking round with 2 of champagne glasses of it each.

 On most of the counters in the beauty haul you couldn't get the help you needed or receive the promised complimentary makeovers as there was just too many people.  I also felt the makeup artists that i did manage to speak to were more interested in the sales rather than helping me find the right product. For example i tried on 'Lady Danger' , a MAC lipstick which looked horrendous but the makeup artist was pushing me to purchase it. Overall the evening was disappointed and my mum left early because it was so crammed and she wasn't enjoying herself.

The highlight of the evening was the generously priced prizes in the Selfridges vending machine. When you spend £70 or more that evening you were able to go the the Selfridges vending machine and pick a mysteriously prize. I got one of the new 
Bobbi Brown sheer lipsticks and  my sister got a 80ML YSL perfume worth £73!

What did i buy?

I must admit i went a little crazier than i wanted too with what i bought. I purchased my normal MAC products MAC Studio Fix powder Plus foundation, MAC Fix+ but also got a MAC studio finish concealer for extra coverage on days when i don't want to wear too much powder or don't fancy wearing alot of makeup .
New purchases were my MAC temperature rising lipstick in shade 'Feel my pulse' (which is so similar to heroine) , Estee Lauder double wear foundation and the new Bobbi Brown sheer lipstick in shade hot raspberry,  i won in the selfridges vending machine. 



 Estee Lauder double wear foundation - £27
Estee Lauder double wear foundation in Amber Honey (5N2)

I wanted to try a new foundation as I have been wearing my beloved MAC studio fix foundation since I was 16 (I’m now 20!). I’ve heard many good reviews and raves about the Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation so I thought I would give it a try. It has 15-hour staying power similar to the long wear of the MAC Studio fix fluid but also , Medium, buildable coverage with a built in SPF 10 Natural. The finish is  Semi-Matte and is perfectly fine for those who have oily skin as it is oil free. After chatting to the counter assistant I was matched to shade 'Amber Honey (5N2)' which is a neutral shade.  I’m going to trial it out this week and let you know how  I get on with it.

Have you tried the 
Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation? Let me know what you think! 




MAC Studio Fix  powder Plus foundation - £20.50

You beauties know MAC foundation are my favorite beauty products! As soon as my powder is running low i always repurchase so i have got some handy for when it does run out.

 *NEW* Bobbi Brown sheer lipstick in shade hot raspberry,  - £19 ( i won for free)




I was quite surprised when i woman this from the selfridges prize machine as i though the prizes would not be as good as the this. I had watched a few of these new lipstick that evening but did not purchase because of the price.  So i was quite happy when i won. the sheer lipstick have a  lightweight formula for lips that delivers an effortless wash of colour plus nourishing shine. Plus the sheer lipsticks contain luxurious butters and oils to nourish your lips but also deliver a splash of colour. I cannot wait to wear this lipstick on a night out!

Have you tried the new Bobbi Brown Sheer lipstick collection?


 MAC Fix+ - £14.50

MAC's Fix+ Spritz - 100ml

This is one of my makeup essentials! i always repurchase MAC's Fix+ face spritz. Its great for making your powder not look too cakey and setting your makeup making it look natural.I'm going to be doing a post soon on  MAC's Fix+ spritz Vs MAC's mineralize charged water. So keep your eyes peeled. 

 MAC studio finish concealer - £14.50




MAC's studio range is well known for its fantastic medium - full coverage. I already have a Studio finish concealer but i had shade NC42 for highlight my brow area to make it look more natural once i have applied my pencil. I have only recently just discovered the beauties of concealer as it great for when you're in a rush or when you don't want to apply a lot of makeup but still cover imperfections. I love the finish of this concealer  as it doesn't make my skin look cakey and blends in really well, for that natural look.

What's your favorite concealer?



 MAC temperature rising lipstick in shade 'Feel my pulse' - £15.50
Left: MAC's feel my pulse cremesheen lipstick
Right: MAC's Strong woman lipstick and Feel my pulse lipstick.

This is my second purchase of the a product from MAC's new spring/summer collection temperature rising. I emailed an artist asking for which colour is similar to the discontinued MAC's Strong woman matte lipstick (was from A/W collection '12)  and she suggested feel my pulse from the temperature rising collection or heroine from the fashion set. Unfortunately heroine was sold out so this was the next best thing it a cremesheen lipstick - Ultra sheer and uber moist, it features flat pigments and a creamy high shine finish to lips. I wish there was permanent colour similar to strong woman in the permanent lipstick collection, as i absolutely love this colour!



Have you ever been to a Selfridge's event?

1 comments:

Heather Nixon said...

Great buys - the bobbi brown lipstick looks gorgeous :)


www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

Post a Comment

 

Beauty by Lucilla Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger